2007-11-24

A Prayer of St Philaret of Moscow

Lord, I do not know what to beg of Thee; Thou alone knowest what is needful for me. Thou lovest me more than I know how to love Thee. O Father, give to Thy slave that for which I do not know how to beg. I do not dare to ask for either a cross or a consolation; I am only standing before Thee with my heart open to Thee. Thou seest my needs which I do not even know; see and deal with me according to Thy mercy. Purge and heal me, humble and raise me; I am in awe before Thee and I am silent before Thy will and Thine unfathomable ways for me. I bring myself as a sacrifice to Thee. Teach me to pray. Pray Thyself within me. Amen. (In giving spiritual instruction, Elder Michael of Valaam used to order that this prayer of St Philaret, Metropolitan of Moscow, be prayed every day.)

No comments: