2008-01-19

A Brave New World

The media is telling us now that the economy is bad and going to get worse. Who knows? Confidence or lack of confidence itself can effect the overall economy, and these factors can be effect by media hype. I am not claiming media hype at the moment, but I do not generally trust the media (surprise) and for all the objectivity and independence of the media, it's amazing how often the same stories with the same spins appear. As important as the economy is, I think it pales in importance to the life issues facing our civilization, and I don't mean "just" abortion. I mean human cloning, chimeras, human-animal hybrids, fetal and embryo experimentation, euthanasia, genetic engineering, cyborgs, bio-medical science doing whatever can be done because it can be done. "Let's see what happens when we cross a human with a snake." We know we are in an ethical free-fall generally, (just look at our politicians and businessmen, in general, not all, of course); why should I trust "science" backed by billions of dollars to respect human dignity and the sanctity of life? I would favor a tough ban on a host of items--I don't know enough to list every one in detail, but I believe most of us think that the "frankenstein" factor is not well regulated. The 35th anniversary of Roe v Wade is upon us. Not long after that immoral ruling by our highest court, it became routine for many "doctors" to ask expecting mothers "do you want to keep 'it'?" We were assured that man's search-and-destroy mission in the womb would lead to a society in which children would be better off, always wanted, and women would be happier and healthier. The media loved it, promoted it. They lied, children died. James M. Kushiner - Touchstone

No comments: